Pastor H. Viestenz (served 1902-1903)
Pastor Viestenz, a resident of Winona, Minnesota, arrived in Tacoma in October 1902 to succeed Pastor Wolfe. It is reported that during his pastorship the parsonage on south 27th street, which still stands to the east of the present church building, was constructed. Apparently Pastor Viestenz assisted in the construction of the building. Later occupants of the parsonage commented on the “uniqueness” of the structure. Reportedly,, none of the windows or doorways are perfectly square. It has been speculated that neither Pastor Viestenz nor his assistants used a square or level during construction of this dwelling, which endured to serve five other pastors and their families. Pastor Viestenz’s service to the congregation was curtailed by failing health. On August 30, 1903 he surrendered his duties as pastor of the congregation to engage in private business. During the years 1904 and 1905 he worked as a bookkeeper for H.J. Miller, a wholesale dealer in butter, eggs, cheese and oysters. By 1906 he was no longer listed as a resident of Tacoma and it is presumed that he returned to the Midwest.